Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 35?

Who's the worst blogger ever? Me. I know, I'm sorry. I have excuses though. Legitimate ones.

So last Friday started so well. We practiced with putting my jacket all over her and letting me rub all the way down her legs. She was being an absolute angel. It was one of those rare perfect days that can come with backing a horse (especially a mare, lol). I tried again, to sit on her, and she actually let me sit here, move a little and kick her sides. All was great until she went to balance herself by taking a step forward. She felt my weight shift on her back, and that was it. She took off toward the fence, which i proceeded to fly into. :) Those mustang muscles have quite a bit of launch, I got right up, meaning I didn't pass out, but it hurt. After taking inventory of my injuries, I knew nothing was broken and Z was just chilling at the other side of the field, totally confused. She definitely had no idea it happened and totally didn't mean to hurt me. I had to change her to her turnout halter, so I was so glad she didn't want to run away. She just stood and let me switch it and take all our toys out of her field. I ended up going to the ER, for a couple of reasons. Turns out I had a brush burn roughly the size of my hand, two cuts on the back of my ear that had to be glued, along with lots of scratching and bruising. This pain, coupled with finals, kept me away fro Z nearly all week. But finals are done and i can finally see my four legged girlies. Finally. Stay tuned for some real updates.
Okay. Now for a bit of a PSA. This may alienate some people, but I've totally turned a corner. I'm going to honestly say I don't think I can ever get on another horse without a helmet. I firmly believe that if i wasn't wearing a helmet when I fell off Z, i would still be in the hospital. I can't get the sound of my helmet hitting the wood out of me head. Granted, my helmet was the reason my ear was cut, but it was also the reason I'm able to type this right now. Horses and falls are no joke. Think before you get on a horse next time, regardless of the level of experience your horse has. Courtney King-Dye will never be able to compete at the Grand Prix level the way she did before, all because of no helmet. I'm just saying. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment