Sunday, August 11, 2013

I'm not sure how to title these anymore...

So this week was amazing. Z and I finally had relaxed playtime. Clearly, we both needed it. Z spent the week meeting new friends and chasing me for treats. :) Today I decided I had to get back on her, but, it of curiosity, I wanted to see how she would lunge in a neck stretcher. I'd really like to start building her back muscle, but I always feel like draw reins and even side reins put the horse too far on the forehand (not that I don't love their effects on the right horse, lol). So I tacked her up and for about 5 minutes (since she's not used to ANY sort of head restraint, even light and stretchy), I lunged her in the trusty neck stretcher. Oh. My. Goodness. Now when I say she was incredible afterwards, believe me, I've never had such an instant change in a horse. She was light, not eating the bit, resting her mouth, and super responsive to my rein aids. I don't know what it was about the darned stretcher, but something clicked for her today. I can't wait to see where she goes from here. :)
I also want to say that today I went to work with Caitlin's mustang, Halona. She'll be mentioned plenty in her, from now on, as she is a huge part of my mustang journey. I'd like to say Halona was the mustang before the mustang who started it all. Meeting Halona and Caitlin last winter, I had NO idea I'd end up with a mustang the same age as hers, only, maybe, six months later. Crazy... Anyway, Z has given me so much insight into the mind of a mustang, that after four months not working with her, and two or three weeks of absolutely no work, we were able to pick up right where we left off. Bit, saddle, lunging, and we even learned some steering today.
I love mustangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment