Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 1

After 15 hours of going nonstop, I'm finally home and showered. :) It's hard to believe that by 9:45 this morning, I was already on my way home, my gorgeous Zonta in tow.
I woke up at 3:25 this morning, and, deciding it was too early, but I was already too excited to go back to sleep, I just stared at my clock for the next hour until my alarm actually went off. By 5:30 Caitlin and I were in the trailer, pulling out. We got to Lorton around 9 and I signed my life (as I knew it) away to become a mustang trainer. When they gave me my slip, it simply said "1147 brown 4yo mare". When I found her, just put back after separating from her pen-mate, she stood, resting, with her head down while horses on either side of her carried on and ran around. I knew immediately that I'd love her. She looked around with such an air of sensibility; something I found rare in my quick look around the pens. She had a few struggles getting the halter on and standing in the small, confined chute, but she went right on the trailer and stayed pretty calm most of the drive home.
I stopped by my house to show Zonta her adoptive grandparents and when I got out of the truck, she was facing the back door of the trailer, trembling, and covered in sweat. Her next stop was Wawa (of all places) to get gas, which she handled quite well, just looking around quite a bit. Finally we headed to the farm to unload and formally meet each other.
I parked the trailer up next to the barn, but decided I wanted to spend some time in the trailer with her before running her into the stall (yes, stall, because of a current situation with another horse at the barn). She was incredibly wary of me and pretty skittish, but after a few hours of just standing and talking and slowly shifting my weight to get closer to her, we were to the point where I could walk away and she'd take a few steps toward me. I was so incredibly pleased with this that I decided it was time to try to get her off.
We opened the trailer and set up a sort-of chute to guide her in, but she just stayed contently on the trailer. We ended up having to chase her in. but even that didn't traumatize her that much. She's pretty happy, finally went potty and ate a little, she even had a drink from a small bucket.
I'm so excited to go over after work tomorrow, let her out and really work with her and try to join up and get to touch her.
It was also so cool to see everyone else's updates on Facebook, especially those already on their second day with the ponies.
I have to thank Caitlin, first and foremost, but also, my parents, Bekkah, Des, Casie, and Josh for all their help getting me here today. :)
See you next update!













1 comment:

  1. She is really pretty! I hope you have a good day with her moro :-)

    ReplyDelete