Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 2

She's wild. That's for sure.
I got a call this morning at work shortly after receiving a picture and a panicked picture. Zonta pulled her halter off her nose so the whole thing was hanging around her neck. I was terrifying thinking the whole day that she was going to hang herself. After finishing work and driving (totally not breaking any speed limits *cough*) to the farm, we decided to let her out in her field to try to join up and let he blow off some steam. Long story short, she's back in the stall now.
I spent nine hours trying any and every method I knew of trying to get her to trust me enough to let me touch her. I eventually hit a point where neither of us were making any progress, so I did the one thing I was trying my hardest not to: I called in some backup.
With the help of Steffen, a local cowboy with extensive mustang experience, we got the halter off of her neck and got her back in her stall. I really didn't want to do that, but she really is so tough and so smart that there was no other way to get her to stay close enough to me to touch. We couldn't get another halter on her, but Steffen's going to come back next weekend and we'll try again.
I mean, I obviously knew it wasn't going to be easy, but it was hard to leave without ever even touching her. I've definitely got my work cut out for me. (Maybe this is a sign she wanted to be called Jezebel. It's fits her personality a little more. Lol.) It's going to make it that much better though when we do have our first real breakthrough.
I do have to say, though, when I called Steffan and decided I was done for the day, it was definitely time. I was so sunburned and so exhausted. It's been a long weekend for both of us, but the only way to go now is up. Slowly, but surely, up.
I just have to keep reminding myself of what my boyfriend just told me; "You shouldn't be comparing yourself to other trainers...your partner is unique. your story is your own. turn your rock into a diamond."
We'll get there...



No comments:

Post a Comment